Sunday, February 25, 2007

Door to Door for EWB

I spent yesterday afternoon slipping and sliding on driveways, playing with neighborhood dogs and going door to door asking for donations. This is not a normal Saturday afternoon activity for me. I was lucky to have an experienced member of the group show me the ropes and explain the project to people in a clear and concise manner.

What project would get me out in the snow looking for money?

I have recently joined a group of MSU students on campus called Engineers Without Borders. No, I am not an engineer. I am a geographer working towards a second degree in sociology. I fit in because this group is a mix of students with a variety of backgrounds who are interested in long term sustainable development that provides a broader world perspective. In this particular case we work together to establish a long term relationship with Kenyan communities in order to put in hand pump wells and compost latrines at the local schools.

Why?

Currently, female students miss hours of class while fetching water. The water they fetch is often unclean and causes illnesses which increases time away from class for both them and their classmates. The latrines that are utilized are unsanitary and contribute not only to illnesses but also to ground water contamination. The hope is to not only put in sustainable wells and compost latrines but also empower the communities to take a more active role in addressing their needs.

One pump costs close to$15,000 U.S. just for the drilling and materials. Our goal has been to raise $350 a week and work on obtaining some large grants. We have about 15 students working diligently on these goals. We also have some informational meetings and fundraising events coming up.

If you are interested in donating, giving fundraising ideas or simply asking more questions- drop me a line. I will post updates and upcoming events as well.

2 comments:

duff said...

psst- it's been over two years. are you ready to write a new post yet? ;)

Unknown said...

Ok duff... you are right... it has been way too long! xoxoxo