Sunday, January 15, 2006

A different kind of love machine...

I posted these same thoughts to my My Space account today. Can you forgive me this once for cheating?

You know what? We got it good. I got it good.

Friends, family, loved ones... heat, food, clothes...a roof overhead.

I saw something today that I have not seen before. Outside of the giant consumer conglomerate Wal Mart there sat a blue and green 70's van with a big sign that said, "Mobile Soup Kitchen." Around the van and in the snow there were several lawn chairs with people sitting in them. Their bags were here and there on the ground and their hands were wrapped around steaming cups.

I remembered a conversation I had yesterday as I drove by with my two bags of items- not all necessities- sitting in the seat beside me. A friend and I had left another consumer conglomerate, Target, and passed a gentleman sitting at the corner asking for money. We discussed our guilt and called ourselves names for each time we just drove by without giving. But we also talked about praying for them and the times we bought coffee or food for someone on a corner and they were either grateful or disdainful- even turning down the food or drink while stating that they wanted money.

This van presented me with a new look at the street corners of capitalism. Someone, perhaps like my friend and I, had decided not to drive by but instead drive to these folks and offer them a hot meal along with momentary companionship.

As I returned home I prayed. I asked God to bless each and everyone around that van and then thanked Him for everything He has given me in life.

And, I wondered, is there a mobile soup kitchen in Helena? Shouldn't every city have one? Couldn't churches and other community organizations band together to support one or two vans in each locale depending on its demographics?

No comments: