Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunday Afternoon Pondering

It's 2:30pm and I am still in my purple comfy pants drinking coffee and absorbing sunlight. My sheets are hanging on the line and my work clothes are begging to be washed. I could get up and take care of them- but no, I am here with the closest thing I have to a boyfriend at the moment- my laptop.

What does that say about me? Is it wrong that I am thinking about naming my laptop as soon as I decide if it is a he or a she? Sanchez or Mia? Hmmm...

As I contemplate my attachment to technology and if I need to seek professional help for some disorder I receive a text message over my cell from a friend who is currently at her second job at a local gym. She says, "I just had a guy preach to me that hurricane Katrina is God's judgement on America..."

Oh dear. Shall I even go here?

No. I will just ask this question- Technology and Globalization in the Information Age- Tools to bring us closer or weapons to widen the gaps between the haves and have nots, the educated and the ignorant, the left and the right?

Undoubtedly, it isn't that simple- but, what do you think?

3 comments:

Travis said...

cool blog. Technology can't be inherently good or evil just another tool used by sinner/saint people.

Globilization is an interesting thing to consider as a Christian, but also overwhelming. The more I know about the world the more responsible I am for my actions. Can I buy a shirt made in honduras when the people who made that shirt aren't paid a living wage? I like Wendell Berry's emphasis on living locally and having considerable knowledge about where your food comes from, who grew it and how etc. It's easier to be responsible that way.

duff said...

i'm avoiding the deep question and going with what's easy- name your computer something androgynous, like "pat", "sam", or "phillip"

•♥•m•♥• said...

Hola LMW....Im going to go out on a limb here and says its really a combo of both. Without the technology we wouldnt have Globalization..and without the information age --we wouldnt have the ability to share the information to the haves from the havenots in an effort become a "have"......and from the "Haves" to the "havenots" as the "havenots" will be the workerbees for the "haves". Lastly, some educated folks are educated just enough to be very very dangerous.....and from what I've heard..."ignorance is bliss".....they wont even know the end is coming..... :)